How to Create an Employee Evaluation Cycle
Employee evaluations are a way for managers to review how their teams are doing. It helps to identify strengths as well as weaknesses for teams, but also gives you an easy way of targeting next steps with employees, including training, follow-up conversations or compensation decisions.
What's in an Evaluation?
Any admin can set up an evaluation cycle for the entire company. Click on "Company Account" in the bottom left corner of side navigation and select "Employee Evaluations" to create a cycle.
An evaluation includes three parts for a manager to complete:
- A set of questions you can customize (or use our default) to assess what actions a manager should take with a direct report. The scale ranges from Strong No to Strong Yes.
- A customized list of categories that the manager selects for that employee as well as descriptions for what those categories mean.
- A notes section where managers can write additional qualitative information. The questions prompted can be customized by company.
- To get started switch over to Admin mode by clicking on "Admin Settings" in the bottom left area of the window. (Creating evaluations is only available for admins on the account).
- Then click on "Create New Evaluation".
- From this page, you'll be prompted to add evaluation questions.
- These are assigned four possible answers ranging from Strong No, No, Yes to Strong Yes.
- You can add as many of these as you'd like, but we recommend keeping it to around 5 otherwise the questions tend to lose their impact.
- Once the questions have been customized we move along to Assessment Groups. This is the overall rating for the employee. You can add as many as you'd like.
- For the assessment group, you write the title of it, then a description. This will show up when hovered over.
- A preview will show before confirmation.
- Now it's just a matter of naming the cycle and setting a start and end date.
The start date denotes the first day that managers will see notifications in their inboxes. The evaluations won't be closed until after an admin ends the cycle. In the following section, we'll outline how to do this.
Ending the cycle
This is easy enough, it's just a matter of choosing whether or not you want to allow managers to share their evaluation notes at the end of the cycle. It's important to note that allowing managers to share their notes does not share the buckets which employees have been placed into. If you'd like full transparency, it's ok to add those ratings into the notes, but we don't provide the interface to do that within Zugata. To end the cycle, follow these steps:
- From the admin page, click on "Employee Evaluations"
- Find an evaluation that is in session and click on it.
- Go to the upper right-hand corner of the page and click on the ellipsis
- Choose "End Evaluation"
- Select whether or not you'd like to allow managers to share their notes.
- Choose "Yes, End it" or "Not Now" to return back to the evaluation dashboard.
Need help? Reach us at email@example.com.